Recap: Maryland Shell Shocked by Stingy Loyola (MD) 12-7

The Terps Men’s Lacrosse team took on one of their in-state rivals in the Loyola Greyhounds in their first road trip of the season. Coming off their 15-4 win over Richmond last week, the Terps were looking to go 2-0 for the seventh straight season, but Loyola (MD) had other plans in their season opener.

The Terps wound up giving up the first goal after two minutes of play. The Terps’ offense got out to a slow start after not scoring on their first three possessions. After turning the ball over on their third possession the Terps then faced their first man-down situation but were able to kill it off. On their next three possessions, the Terps still were not able to find the back of the net as the Loyola goalie was off to a hot start. Coming off a save by Loyola, they were able to score once again to take the early 2-0 lead with 2:30 remaining in the first quarter. After a Luke Wierman face-off win, the Terps finally got their first goal of the day from attackman Daniel Kelly. he Terps would get one more chance to score before the end of the quarter but a deflected pass would end their possession and the score would stay the same to end the quarter.

The Terps would win their fifth straight face-off but wound up turning it over right away to give the Greyhounds the first possession of the second quarter. After two quick turnovers by both teams, the Greyhounds were able to score another off a shot that Logan McNaney originally saved but trickled past him. Another face-off for the Terps but once again, they turned it over to give it back to Loyola. After a couple of empty possessions by both teams, the Terps got another goal from Jack Brennan with just over eight minutes left in the first half. After yet another face-off win for the Terps, Daniel Kelly dodged a defender and took the ball to the cage for another goal to tie it up at three a piece. Both defenses were creating tons of problems with time dwindling down in the first half but with 1:50 left the Greyhounds took the lead back to make it 4-3. Just 40 seconds after giving up the goal, the Terps got another back to tie it back up thanks to a snipe from outside by Kyle Long. Loyola would wind up winning their first face-off of the day which would lead to them getting the final possession of the half and would capitalize by scoring to take the 5-4 lead into halftime. Wierman was the star of the first half for the Terps finishing 9-for-11 on face-offs, but the Terps were unable to turn the extra possessions into goals.

Wierman started the half the same way he had done most of the day with a quick face-off win but once again the Terps are not able to take advantage of it. After a caused turnover by the Terps, they were able to draw first blood in the second half with a goal by Daniel Maltz to tie it back up for the third time today. Once again however, the Terps turn it over off another face-off win and it leads to a Loyola goal where they take the lead once again to make it 6-5. Loyola then got the ball back and scored once again to make it 7-5 with 7:25 left in the third quarter. Wierman won the ensuing face-off once again. The Terps would wind up getting their first man-up opportunity on the day but once again would turn it over off dropped pass. On the Loyola clear though, they would get the ball back and Long would assist Kelly for Kelly’s second goal of the day off the failed clear. Another face-off win by Wierman and another turnover by the Terps offense the Greyhounds got another goal to extend the lead to two with 3:03 left in the third quarter. Both teams would have a couple of possessions each to end the quarter but neither team was able to find the back of the net again before heading into the fourth quarter with a score of 8-6.

Wierman wound up losing just his third face-off of the day to start the fourth quarter but the Terps’ defense would hang tough and force a turnover. The Terps wound up giving the ball right back to Loyola who took advantage and scored on the fast break to extend their lead to three. Loyola would wind up forcing another turnover off another Terps’ face-off win and wound up scoring it once again. Ajax Zappitello would commit a penalty after the goal which would lead to the Terps’ second time being man-down on the day while down four. The Greyhounds would automatically get possession and took advantage of the man up and would now lead 11-6 with 11:16 left in the game. Terps would turn it over once again and it would lead to yet another Loyola goal to make it a 7-1 run for the Greyhounds since the Terps tied it up at five. As both teams went back and forth without any scoring, Maryland head coach John Tillman called a timeout with just 4:55 left to spark his guys. Kelly capitalized and would score his fourth on the day with just 1:35 left to make it 12-7 Loyola. Loyola would get the ball and just wind down the clock to end the game and pull off the upset over the defending champs.

Big efforts from Wierman who finished 18-22 from the face-off and Kelly who finished with four goals on the day was just simply not enough to keep their 24 game regular season winning streak alive. The Terps finished the day with 20 turnovers, suffering their first loss since the 2021 championship game.

Related Links

Hakim Hart’s 23 points lead Maryland over Penn State at home

Player grades: Maryland 74, Penn State 68

2024 WCAC guard returning to College Park (+)

Shell-N-Tell: The Found Identity

One name to watch (+)

Maryland football selected as ‘breakout team’ in 2023

Maryland in consistent contact with Florida ATH (+)